Linking on from my stress post yesterday.
I love this…
My younger daughter, who sometimes suffers with anxieties (as do we all from time-to-time) has discovered mindfulness as a way to calm her mind. It’s not the first time lately I’ve caught her lying on the rug in front of the fire, listening to a guided meditation on her laptop. She also has a favourite CD – ‘Rays of Calm’ by Christiane Kerr – that she listens to every night. It’s a series of visualisations that gently guide you into sleep.
The benefits of meditation are multiple:
– reduction of stress/anxiety, and even possibly depression.
– helps to improve self-image and promotes positivity.
– aids in developing a stronger understanding of yourself.
– helps improve memory and concentration, and may reduce age-related memory loss.
– aids with pain management by diminishing the perception of pain in the brain.
– may decrease blood pressure in older participants.
– increases speed of going to sleep and staying asleep.
Making meditation part of your day has so many benefits, we should all give it a go. It only takes a few minutes, and anyway, who says you don’t deserve some time to yourself, just to sit and be?
As for my daughter, judging by her very heavy breathing, it seems that meditation for the purpose of sleep improvement is definitely working, not just at night but at ANY time of the day!!