INTRODUCTION TO NUTRITIONAL THERAPY
Nutritional Therapy is the application of nutrition science in the promotion of health, peak performance and individual care. Nutritional therapy practitioners use a wide range of tools to assess and identify potential imbalances and understand how these may contribute to individual’s symptoms and health concerns. This approach allows us to work with individuals to address nutritional balance and help support the body towards maintaining health. In the UK, nutritional therapy is recognised as a complementary medicine and is relevant for individuals with chronic conditions, as well as those looking for support to enhance their health and wellbeing. Nutritional therapists consider each individual to be unique and recommend personalised nutrition and lifestyle programmes rather than a ‘one size fits all’ approach. Nutritional therapists never recommend nutritional therapy as a replacement for medical advice and we are trained to recognise ‘red flag’ signs or symptoms that require referral to medical professional. We will also frequently work alongside a medical professionals and will communicate with other healthcare professionals involved in the client’s care to explain any nutritional therapy programme that has been provided.
NUTRITIONAL THERAPY PRACTITIONER’S ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• True To Your Health (TTYH) is fully qualified to advise on nutritional and lifestyle changes; they will provide the clients with only known and tested recommendations.
• TTYH is compliant with the standards governed by BANT and the CNHC Code of Conduct.
• Consultations usually take place in person at Physio and Therapies in Todmorden, but on occasion, may be arranged through Skype, FaceTime or telephone at a time agreed by both parties.
• The cost of the consultations is made available to the client before signing the agreement. Should this change, TTYH will inform the client at a suitable time. Please see the page ‘Fees/Consultations/Discounts‘ for further details about fees.
• The consultations will last no longer than: Initial 1 – 120 mins | Follow-ups – 60 mins. Appointments tend to be spread 4-6 weeks apart. Changes to this may be negotiated if a client feels they require more frequent or longer consultations.
• The nutritional therapy programme is tailored to each client, therefore the degree of benefit obtainable from nutritional therapy may vary between clients with similar health problems and following a similar nutritional therapy programme.
• Nutritional therapy will be targeted at addressing the health issues/goals selected agreed by both parties.
• TTYH is not qualified to diagnose or treat health conditions, however they may suggest additional testing, referral to another therapist or health practitioner. Please advise your GP or other health professionals about your nutritional therapy programme, especially if taking medications, so they can monitor dosages.
• In order to achieve therapeutic effects, TTYH may recommend a supplementation alongside dietary and lifestyle changes.
• Between consultations, the client is encouraged to contact TTYH via e-mail, that will be checked on Tuesdays and Fridays, unless more regular communication is agreed upon. We may also communicate between consultations by phone at a date and time agreed on during your appointment.
CLIENT’S ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• I am responsible for contacting my medical practitioner if required by my health status and recommended by TTYH; I am also responsible for informing my medical practitioner about the nutritional therapy programme and any supplements that I take.
• I am responsible for informing my nutritional therapist about any health conditions, treatments, medication, over the counter medication, herbal supplements and other therapies as they may interact with the nutritional changes or supplements that I am recommended.
• I will contact my nutritional therapist if I am uncertain about the dosage, length or time of the supplement programme, as well as contact them immediately if any adverse reactions occur.
• I am responsible for contacting my nutritional therapist if I decide to continue with the supplement programme for longer that recommended and/or if I take a higher than recommended dose.
• I am aware that it is prohibited to audio- or video-record any of the consultations, except for when both parties agree to do so.
• I understand that the nutritional therapy programme is a mutual agreement between me and TTYH.
• I am obliged to pay for consultations in the agreed time, ie. 50% at the time of booking by cash, card payment or bank transfer and the remainder at the time of the consultation.
OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
I. Bookings and cancellations:
• TTYH appreciates that things happen and either party may need to change the consultation time. However, to respect each other’s time and commitments, this is only available for up to 2 days before the consultation. Cancellation or re-scheduling with less than 48 hours notice is likely to result in the loss of your deposit.
• Turning up late for your consultation will result in a consultation that is shorter in duration.
• Should TTYH cancel or re-schedule the appointment with less than 48 hours notice, you will be entitled to a 50% reduction on your next consultation.
II. Termination of agreement and refunds:
• Both parties are entitled to terminate the agreement and receive a full refund within good time (48 hours or more notice). Packages are discounted, so refunds for any remaining consultations will be proportional to this discount placed on the package.
• Termination of agreement needs to be written on paper and sent through mail/e-mail correspondence to the address/e-mail address provided by the other party.